Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Twelve – Smokers Suck
In 2010, most first world countries realize the health detriments to cigarette smoking and second hand smoke. Even in Japan those who do decide to plague their lungs with tar and impregnate their tissues with carcinogens are quarantined in small cubical containers with independent ventilations systems, which are now being removed from public buildings; similar in nature to the “smoker lounges” in many airports. In the US, some regulations (for which I am pleased) mandate that smoking be performed more than ten yards away from the front entrance of a public building, and in California, no smoking at all in, around or near any building practically. Subsequently these regulative successions have led to the curbing of addictive habits, which more than just the smoker can benefit from, all cravings aside. Here in a country which appears to pride itself on outdoors lifestyle, above average fitness, natural / biological / organic products available frequently, and innovation, it appears to be a big step back. I walk down the street on a calm day, and I can smell the guy smoking in front of me a block and a half away. I am waiting for the train and from all directions and various locations, smokers on the platforms. I have to go into a cubical if I don’t want the smoke! At lunch, I’m walking to get something to eat, 12 year-olds are getting out for lunch, yep, their smoking. On the way home, I get off the train, and the same guy who was smoking at the stop where we boarded the train, lights up as the door opens to let us all out; It’s a nine minute train ride!!! I understand about peoples right to choose, and if someone wants to choose a long term suicide plan even though I am not a proponent of that selfish decision, go ahead it their choice; but don’t allow you’re right to choose infringe upon my right to breath smoke free air. I am aware that laws here are in place to mandate no smoking in restaurants and bars, but let’s face it; does it really take over 18 months to execute such a plan? It's a placard on the door, not a construction project. I can’t wait until this is in effect in April!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment