Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day Seven – Familiar Whiff

I left for work this morning. Cold. Dark. and I missed the tram. This usually means the connecting train may be missed as well, so I began to walk faster to the next stop to catch another one which would put me at the station in time. As I was walking down the cold and icy street, a familiar smell hit me, and for some reason it smelled good. I can't explain why, but it just did. The reason there is absence of logic in that last sentence is due to the fact that the smell reminded me of scrapple. I have only smelled this in Philly, and if you are unfamiliar with it, it is a sausage like meat product constituted from the parts of animal which one would typically not use for anything else, thereby combining all non-usable or solely inappropriate parts into one lump sum and serving it, at least in Philly, on an Amoroso Roll for breakfast from a roach coach, a.k.a. the food truck normally parked in the street. Now you know what I mean by the smell awkwardly revealing a comfortable scent. Perhaps it was the bacon undertones, or the savory salinity in the gristly oder. I wasn't hungry for it, actually, I just had breakfast. In fact, I've never eaten scrapple, and knowing what it is, I will never knowingly eat it. This topic even came up at work because a few colleagues had recently traveled to Philly and were enlightened to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment