Sunday, January 17, 2010

Seventeen - Soap

I don't know very much about soap, except that it's a surfactant used with water for the purpose of cleaning, some have ingredients which I cannot pronounce, some have Glycerol, and salts, and some leave "a sticky film on you which just won't rinse away." In an attempt to know where our products come from and at the same time make a less expensive laundry soap - which by the way we were short on and all the stores were closed on Sunday - we set forth with a simple recipe of water, baking soda, and bar soap shavings, which were combined into a heating pot. As my wife left to go down stairs to check the laundry, she had asked me to check the heating pot while she was gone. After a few minutes, I checked, nothing happening, so I went back to whatever it was I was doing. Well, somewhere between nothing and when my wife got back, the heating soap solution took to our kitchen like Vesuvius to Pompeii. The baking soda was the special ingredient which allowed for the pot to boil over like crazy, silently. I swear I heard nothing. Needless to say the added benefit of making inexpensive soap is that you can clean your kitchen and stove in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment