Monday, April 12, 2010

Nintyseven - Ol' Skool Ride

My friends and I have a golden rule for mountain bike rides which goes back years. I am 99% sure that this rule has always been proven. The "Rule of Three" states that when any 3 or more of us ride, someone, one of us, will, and I mean will break something on their bike. Usually it is a flat tire or something simple. In the past we have had flat tires, blown side walls, flat shocks, broken seat bolts, spokes, derailleurs, chains, rims, cassettes, bottom brackets, you name it. Somehow we always get the job done. We even went for a ride when someone lost the key to their U-Lock, we manager to rig it and duct tape it to the frame. This ride was no exception. At mile 1.01 into the ride, someone broke a chain. He didn't even bring his backpack with gear because for some reason, he thought the curse would be lifted if he didn't have it. I was riding a borrowed 12 year old Trek Y-bike which make so much noise I thought for sure I would be the one with the broken stuff. Nope. Anyway, we patched the chain together with some spare links we found in another old camel-back, and a chain-tool we never knew we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment